AHIP Submits Statement For Hearing On Rural Home Health Care
posted by AHIP
on February 12, 2020
Today, AHIP submitted a statement for the hearing on Home Health Care in Rural America to the Senate Special Committee on Aging.
In this statement, we focus on the challenges with providing and delivering health care in rural communities, strategies that health insurance providers are employing to ensure rural populations have access to the care they need, and policy recommendations to ensure that Americans in rural communities have access to high-quality health care moving forward.
Below are a few key takeaways from the statement:
- There are challenges that existing serving remote areas with geographically dispersed populations. This can be exacerbated by issues like: shortages of doctors, providers and nursing homes; social barriers such as lack of access to healthy foods; a greater likelihood of people being uninsured; and structural barriers such as a lack of insufficient public transportation.
- To address these challenges, health insurance providers are pursuing new, innovative opportunities to improve health outcomes including:
- Leveraging telehealth and remote patient monitoring to help patients and health care providers manage chronic diseases, expedite diagnoses, and reduce unnecessary ER visits
- Motivating providers to practice in rural communities through scholarships and other financial incentives
- Building innovative payment models that align payments to doctors with high quality outcomes for patients and lower overall costs of care for everyone
- We believe policymakers can further advance this work by:
- Offering additional programs and incentives to encourage providers to practice in rural areas
- Expand access to care through telehealth by establishing multi-state licensure compacts
- Make insurance coverage more affordable in rural communities by, for instance, implementing reinsurance programs
- Promoting good health for people and communities by expanding existing virtual prevention and public health programs, and improving public education programs
The full statement can be found here: https://www.ahip.org/wp-content/uploads/AHIP-Statement-for-the-Record-on-Rural-Health-for-Senate-Aging-Committee-2.12.20.pdf