Wellness, Part Two: Combating Chronic Diseases Through Workplace Wellness Programs
This course will help you build upon the foundation of knowledge that you acquired in An Introduction to Wellness Programs. You’ll examine health threats confronting workers and find out ways wellness approaches can prevent or slow the progression of these serious health concerns. You’ll gain a solid understanding of the workplace as a venue for combating common chronic disease and learn about tools in the wellness arsenal to identify those at risk. You’ll also learn strategies for addressing unhealthy behaviors that often precipitate illness. If you are interested in developing wellness programs for health plan members, launching wellness activities in your own workplace, becoming a wellness advocate, or if you currently manage a wellness program, you will find everything you need to know about creating a culture of health at any organization.
At a Glance
- 11-hour course length, plus 1 exam
- Students have up to 90 days to complete course
- Counts toward the FHIAS® professional designation
- Flexible, self-paced online format
- Technical support available by phone or email
What You’ll Learn
- A clear definition of the wellness concept and how it is applied to tackle chronic diseases and promote healthy behaviors.
- Recognition of the hazards of unhealthy weight gain and knowledge about the tools and techniques available to identify and address health risks.
- Understanding of why smoking is referred to as “the forgotten risk” and the critical challenges remaining for wellness programs.
- Knowledge about the core components of disease management and an exploration of its connection to wellness.
- Awareness of the common elements of wellness approaches to three major chronic diseases (diabetes, heart disease, and asthma), recognition of basic clinical aspects of each disease and how wellness tools can be applied.
- Descriptions of career paths opening up in the wellness field, what the job responsibilities entail, and requirements for education and experience.
Utilization of the wellness resource kit and how the various instruments can be used in planning and implementing workplace activities.
Who Should Take This Course
- Corporate decision-makers
- Human resource personnel
- Benefits specialists
- Employee assistance professionals
- Wellness managers
- Health insurance agents and underwriters
- Occupational health professionals
- Health, fitness, and rehabilitation professionals
- Long-term care and professionals
- $195 AHIP Members
- $255 Non-members
To enroll in a course, please log in and browse our online catalog. If you are a new user, please create an account to get started.
For even greater ROI, contact our experts at TrainingSolutions@ahip.org or call the Support Team at 800.509.4422. We can create a custom blend of courses, test prep classes, and group sessions that make the most sense for you and your budget.
Earn a Career-Driving Professional Designation
This course is good toward earning the following professional designation: