Disability, Part I (Primer)
Many consumers underestimate—or are unaware of—the need for disability insurance (DI). Even those who have some coverage can be unaware of gaps that could undermine their financial health. Disability, Part I (Primer) provides the information you need to introduce your members and clients to the benefits of DI coverage and how it fits in with their overall financial planning.
At a Glance
- 8-hour course length, plus 1 exam
- Students have up to 90 days to complete course
- Counts toward DIA, DIF, DHP, HCSA, and HIA® professional designations
- Flexible, self-paced online format
- Technical support available by phone or email
What You’ll Learn
- Recognize the need for DI insurance and how it works
- Identify and evaluate risks and costs associated with disability
- Examine Social Security DI, workers’ compensation, and other government programs
- Understand the government programs’ limitations and how DI closes the coverage gap
- Differentiate between individual, government, and employer-sponsored plans
- Understand the underwriting process, contract provisions, claims administration, and taxation
- Discover how disability fits into retirement, estate, and long-term care planning
- Learn relevant terms and key concepts
- Examine case scenarios
- Explore emerging trends in the DI field
Who Should Take This Course
- Agents and brokers
- Benefit plan sponsors and staff
- Benefit specialists
- Claims analysts
- Corporate trainers
- Financial planners
- Health insurance provider staff
- Health underwriters
- Human resources professionals
To enroll in a course, please log in and browse our online catalog. If you are a new user, please create an account to get started.
For even greater ROI, contact our experts at TrainingSolutions@ahip.org or call the Support Team at 800.509.4422. We can create a custom blend of courses, test prep classes, and group sessions that make the most sense for you and your budget.
Interested in getting the AHIP member rate for this course? Learn about becoming an Individual Member and sign up here!
Earn a Career-Driving Professional Designation
This course is good toward earning the following designations:
Disability, Part I (Primer) is co-sponsored by America’s Health Insurance Plans, the International DI Society, and the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (NAIFA).