Understanding The Summary Of Benefits And Coverage (SBC)
As part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), new rules have been created to make it easier for consumers to understand and compare health insurance benefits. As a joint effort among the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Labor, and the Department of the Treasury, the rules require all insurance companies and group health plans to create an easy-to-understand summary about health plans’ benefits and coverage. Called the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC), it must adhere to a number of regulations explained in this course.
Understanding the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) is an easy-to-understand interactive online course. For example, the course provides a completed sample SBC, including pop-up windows that demonstrate how it reflects the legislative and regulatory requirements, providing you with a better understanding of its goals and requirements.
What You’ll Learn
- The purpose of the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) required under the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Detailed information that is required in an SBC and the rules for each item of information
- Rules governing who must distribute an SBC, to whom, and when
- Issues that have arisen in relation to SBCs and the regulatory guidance that addresses these issues
Who Should Take This Course
- Health plan employees who work in consumer education or whose position is influenced by the Affordable Care Act
- Those managing employee benefits
- Individuals interested in becoming familiar with the SBC
- $110 AHIP Members
- $150 Non-members
To enroll in a course, or purchase a text book, please log in, and browse our online catalog. If you are a new user, please register for an account to get started.
Earn a Designation
Healthcare Compliance Professional (HCP)