Washington, D.C.

Nashville, TN

search

Opportunities to Impact Social Determinants of Health through Wellness Programs

  • February 05, 2019
  • 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM ET
  • Online
about

According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, genetics account for an estimated 30 percent of a person’s health. The other 70 percent is determined by individual behavior, health care, and social and environmental factors, all of which are influenced by or are considered social determinants of health. Traditional wellness focuses on the individual, but in order to make the most impact, we need a paradigm shift in our thinking to broaden that focus from the individual to the individual’s community. Coaching a member to check their blood sugar three times a day may be futile if that person suffers from food insecurity and transportation barriers. Addressing some of the more fundamental issues is likely to make the most impact. As the transition to value-based care models continue to accelerate, health insurance providers are looking for innovative ways to address and positively influence social determinants of health. Wellness programs are uniquely positioned to connect members with the resources they need to overcome barriers – be they behavior change barriers or something more fundamentalto optimal health.

This webinar takes an in-depth look at the resources a wellness program can provide to help health insurance providers across all lines of business impact the social determinants of health that are impacting the health of their populations and, as a result, create a more engaged and healthier population.

Attendees will learn how a wellness program can:

  • Identify SDoH Risk Factors by adding questions about a member’s social needs and living situation on a Health Assessment, other survey options or through coach contact.
  • Provide Insights through Data Analytics that identify higher-risk members more accurately
  • Connect Members to Health Plan and Community Health Information and Resources through wellness programs and the health care entities they represent can, to aide in lowering risk.
  • Improve Health Literacy by providing simple to understand direction to support “the next right thing to do” in a person’s heath care journey – connecting them to appropriate educational and foundational resources that enable a better understanding of how to positively impact their own personal health.

Speakers


Catherine Bass, Ph.D., M.S.
Director, Informatics

Dr. Bass serves as the Director of Informatics at Onlife Health. Her areas of responsibility include data science, advanced analytics, reporting and research. She holds a Ph.D. in Human Performance with an emphasis in Health Promotion and has 20 years of experience in the health and wellness industry, including a national award from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Her areas of expertise include measurement, incentive design, program planning and health behavior theory. Dr. Bass has authored articles for empirical and trade journals, holds adjunct faculty positions at several universities and is active in the data and technology industry in Nashville.