Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
Under the specific supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Accounts Payable Specialist performs varied accounting work of ordinary and detailed complexity calling for strong knowledge of accounting principles with a considerable need for accuracy, dependability, initiative, and resourcefulness.
- Adhere to the accounting practices and procedures of the Association to ensure that all accounts payable records are accurate and completed on a timely basis
- Perform the Accounts Payable function: prepare and/or review for accuracy, vendor invoices, purchase orders, and other transactions for approximately 25 cost centers
- Reconcile company issued credit card statements and charges
- Draft checks for payment of invoices.
- Provide assistance to staff regarding expense coding and allocation/budget; interface with other departments to promptly assist with questions and requests
- Contacts vendors promptly on disputes to ensure quick resolution
- Performs account analysis for month end on related payable accounts; providing journal entries for month/year end accruals, financial analysis and reporting requests
- Responsible for Sales Tax and 1099 reporting
- Provides necessary supporting information for Quarterly Lobbying Reporting
- Liaison to Legal department for Contract Compliance
- Maintains and updates vendor files within the accounting software; obtain W-9 and/or New Vendor Forms
- Manage and maintain appropriate internal controls for all accounts payable functions
- Assists during the annual audit by providing accounts payable documentation upon request.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Serve as backup to other accounting department personnel
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be detailed oriented within a strong understanding of GAAP accounting
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be a team player that can work accurately and independently.
- Must demonstrate experience with various software packages including spreadsheet preparation and word processing. Microsoft Office, Excel, and EPICOR experience preferred
- 6 – 8 years of experience in Accounts Payable or other area of accounting which entailed the review and processing of invoices, and account reconciliation.
- A Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field preferred. Relevant experience of seven years or more may be used as substitution for required education.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions
- Job frequently requires prolonged sitting, standing, reaching, and lifting up to 10 lbs.
- Keyboard use of greater or equal to 50+% of the workday.
Percent of Travel
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
Interested candidates are requested to visit AHIP’s Career Website: https://www.ahip.org/about-us/careers-at-ahip/ for further instructions on resume submission.
How to Apply
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
AHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
AHIP does not sponsor applications for work visas.
In order to request consideration for an opened position at AHIP, all candidates must complete an AHIP Job Application and submit it, along with a current resume and cover letter that includes your requested salary range. We also ask that you complete and return the three voluntary forms that aid us in our attempt to meet our affirmative action goals:
All voluntary documents will be used for Affirmative Action tracking purposes only, and will be held confidentially in our Human Resources Department. They will not be viewed during the hiring process.
Once completed, all forms should be returned to our recruitment mail box at: email@example.com or mailed to:
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
ATTN: HR Dept/FSAPS
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004