Senior Designer, Graphics
Department: Public Affairs
Employee In Position: * * * * VACANT * * * *
Reports To: Executive Creative Director
Scope: Full time temporary to possibly full time permanent
Date: June 2018
This position is subject to a post-employment criminal history background check
The Senior Designer, Graphics visually represents AHIP initiatives through high quality and exceptionally executed designs for print and digital channels, including but not limited to direct mail, flyers, signage, brochures, ads, website graphics, and banner ads. Under the guidance of the Executive Creative Director, most of the work supports the Marketing department with numerous priorities and tight deadlines.
- Within the guidance of the Executive Creative Director, works with internal clients to understand their needs, and conceptualize and recommend high level solutions
- Balances a large volume of projects from concept to full production/execution and follow up
- Responsible for following AHIP’s visual brand and integrating the brand into all creative products
- Project manages the work assigned to ensure deadlines are met, while following Graphics department workflow processes
- Maximizes workflow by using available tools to increase the department efficiency (e.g. utilizing style sheets and templates when appropriate; project management using Graphics department Excel spreadsheet)
- Responsible for project quality/error-free work, including reviewing projects with a critical eye for strategy and execution
- Helps initiate new creative options based on changing technologies
- Is the point person for producing the art and print managing AHIP staff business cards
- Is the point person for altering AHIP Floorplans for the Facilities department
- Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Outstanding design and typographic skills for print design (direct mail, flyers, signage, brochures, ads), and web graphics creation (banner ads, AHIP’s website graphics, app graphics, email marketing graphics). Experience with animated graphics could be useful but not required. Website design not required. Experience with email marketing creation using software like ActOn or Constant Contact could be helpful
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills. Ability to manage day-to-day priorities along with longer term strategic needs. Is able to manage multiple jobs and adapt to changing priorities; requires high level of flexibility
- Must understand and have experience with the printing process. Is able to create print specifications, get printer estimates, and review printer proofs to ensure flawless printed materials
- Experience with direct mail design and postal guidelines
- Must adapt to the process established for banner ad creation (layout in InDesign then exported)
- Is extremely detail oriented; strong proofreading skills
- Software proficiency including Adobe Creative Suite CC (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat), Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Is able to find appropriate imagery that follows AHIP’s visual brand using our stock photo subscription. Ability to retouch photos and vector graphics
- Possesses strong interpersonal and communication skills, and can work independently and with project teams
- Is able to adapt to new technologies
- Possesses Mac troubleshooting skill
- 8-10 years design experience, in fast-paced, high volume environment
- Experienced in working with multiple clients in an agency setting
- Experienced in project and workflow management
Education: Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a design related field, or applicable work experience.
Certification Requirements: None
Significant Work Activities & Conditions
- Continuous sitting for prolonged periods more than 3 consecutive hours in an 8-hour day
- Keyboard use of greater or equal to 90 % of the workday
Percent of Travel 0-25%
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
Interested candidates are requested to visit AHIP’s Career Website: https://www.ahip.org/about-us/careers-at-ahip/ for further instructions on resume submission.
How to Apply
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
AHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
AHIP does not sponsor applications for work visas.
In order to request consideration for an opened position at AHIP, all candidates must complete an AHIP Job Application and submit it, along with a current resume and cover letter that includes your requested salary range. We also ask that you complete and return the three voluntary forms that aid us in our attempt to meet our affirmative action goals:
All voluntary documents will be used for Affirmative Action tracking purposes only and will be held confidentially in our Human Resources Department. They will not be viewed during the hiring process.
Once completed, all forms should be returned to our recruitment mail box at: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
ATTN: HR Dept/MKSDG
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004