State Advocacy Intern
by Katie Edwards
October 12, 2018
Position: State Advocacy Intern
Department: State Affairs
Position Held By: * * * VACANT * * *
Reports To: Senior Vice President, State Affairs
Scope: Unpaid Internship; Temporary (less than 90 days)
Date: October 2018
Under the supervision of the Senior Vice President, the State Affairs Intern will be part of the team that oversees advocacy on legislative and regulatory health care matters in all states. In this position, the Intern is responsible for directed research, materials development and helping implement campaigns and other initiatives that advance AHIP’s advocacy objectives in the states. The Intern may also be asked to represent AHIP at meetings and events, internally and externally in coordination with other State Affairs staff, and will assist on legislative or regulatory projects with the regional advocacy teams as appropriate.
The Intern will be provided opportunities to explore career opportunities, and network with health care and other elected and public affairs professionals.
- Responsible for one major project following a current health care related topic
- Conducts legislative and regulatory research as necessary
- Compiles information from the regional advocacy teams to create first drafts of various documents, such political forecast documents and issue briefs
- Creates fact sheets, messages, talking points and other advocacy deliverables
- Attends internal and external meetings and conferences of interest as assigned
- Assists with certain member inquires as necessary
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to think constructively, strong interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills and the ability to finalize products in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Basic understanding of the state legislative and regulatory process,
- Familiarity with laws and regulations relating to health insurance and managed care is preferred.
- At least one years of research or analysis, public affairs or government affairs experience preferred, or any combination of education and experience which would provide an equivalent background will allow the intern to get the most out of this experience.
- Student applicant should be motivated to learn and engage in the work.
- Students applying for this Internship should be majoring in Public Health, Health Care Administration, Public Policy or related field. Junior (third year) or Senior (fourth year) status preferred.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions
- Continuous sitting for prolonged periods more than 4 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day.
- Keyboard use of greater or equal to 35 % of the workday.
Percent of Travel
The purpose of this description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of the internship.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All intern candidates will receive consideration for the internship without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran
Resumes for consideration should be email to: email@example.com, or mailed to
America’s Health Insurance Plans
Attn: Human Resources/SAINTERN
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004