Senior Vice President, Federal Affairs
February 21, 2018
Position: Senior Vice President, Federal Affairs
Department: Federal Affairs
Employee in Position: * * * * VACANT * * * *
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Scope: F/T; Exempt; Permanent
Date: February 2018
Under the supervision of the Executive Vice President, the Senior Vice President of Federal Affairs lobbies and supervises government relations efforts on all federal legislative activities, with emphasis on legislative activities in support of AHIP’s advocacy efforts. This position supervises and participates in AHIP’s tracking, analyzing and lobbying of Congressional activities and related issues.
- Represents AHIP as a principal Congressional lobbyist. Maintains extensive contacts and develops strong relationships with members of Congress, Congressional staff, and other key organizations to develop support for industry positions. Attends or sends representatives to congressional hearings, mark-ups, meetings and events.
- Works closely with the Executive Vice President and President and CEO, as well as appropriate senior staff at AHIP to develop a strategic vision for AHIP for federal legislative activities and assists in development and achievement of AHIP’s goals.
- Directs and manages federal government relations activities, including supervision of designated staff. Requires the efficient delegation of responsibilities to staff given the multiplicity of issues requiring the incumbent’s attention
- Monitors and analyzes proposed legislation to determine its effects on the industry; determines the most appropriate position in coalition with AHIP’s senior staff and member companies; and develops and implements strategies to achieve favorable results.
- Oversees and participates in the preparation of testimony, position statements, talking points, written reports, memos and bulletins that are sent to AHIP members.
- Works with member plan federal affairs representatives and manages weekly and quarterly meetings.
- Oversees and assists in the processing of members’ questions on technical legislative issues and their requests for related materials.
- Coordinates with Federal Affairs PAC Director to identify targets for education and support.
- Performs other tasks as required or assigned.
- This position does require supervision of staff in the federal affairs department.
- Requires the efficient delegation of responsibilities to staff given the multiplicity of issues requiring the incumbent’s attention
- Knowledge of the structure and functioning of the federal government, with emphasis on the legislative branch in terms of its impact on health policy;
- Knowledge of current policy issues affecting the health insurance industry;
- In-depth understanding of member companies’ business models and corporate goals.
- Knowledge of PAC organization and rules.
- 10-15 years of experience on Capitol Hill in the legislative and regulatory environment at various levels with strong healthcare policy understanding is mandatory;
- 5-8 years of experience working with and managing health plan executive, government affairs staff, and/or policy staff.
- Relationships with Congressional staff and a developed knowledge and understanding of managed care functions and operations is critical.
- Experience in the government affairs department of a health-related company, trade association, or health care firm is highly preferred.
- Individual should possess strong leadership, management, advocacy, and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science or related field required; Masters and/or J.D. preferred.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions:
- Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment.
Percent of Travel:
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
Interested candidates are requested to visit AHIP’s Career Website for further instructions on resume submission.
How to Apply
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
AHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran.
In order to request consideration for an opened position at AHIP, all candidates must complete an AHIP Job Application and submit it, along with a current resume and cover letter that includes your requested salary range. We also ask that you complete and return the three voluntary forms that aid us in our attempt to meet our affirmative action goals:
All voluntary documents will be used for Affirmative Action tracking purposes only, and will be held confidentially in our Human Resources Department. They will not be viewed during the hiring process.
Once completed, all forms should be returned to our recruitment mail box at: email@example.com or mail to:
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
ATTN: HR Dept/FASVP
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004