March 16, 2021
President and Chief Executive Officer,
Dr. Jaewon Ryu is Geisinger’s president and chief executive officer. He came to Geisinger as the executive vice president and chief medical officer in 2016, and in that capacity, he has overseen all aspects of patient care at Geisinger, working to improve the quality, affordability and experience of care delivered across the enterprise.
During his tenure at Geisinger, Dr. Ryu has cultivated a spirit of innovation and transformation across the organization, driving new approaches to some of healthcare’s most complex problems. These include initiatives like primary care redesign; Geisinger at Home, which brings healthcare services to patients in their home; and 65 Forward, our senior-focused, concierge healthcare centers. All of these are examples of Dr. Ryu’s commitment to making health easier by improving outcomes, engagement and affordability. This dedication to innovation for the health of our communities earned Dr. Ryu a top 20 spot on Modern Healthcare’s Most Influential Clinical Executives list for 2019.
Dr. Ryu was previously at Humana, where he was president of integrated care delivery and responsible for Humana’s owned and joint ventured care delivery assets, including a management services organization (MSO) assisting affiliated practices to adopt population health under value-based reimbursement methodologies.
Prior to Humana, Dr. Ryu held various leadership roles at the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, Kaiser Permanente (where he also practiced as an emergency medicine physician), and in government, at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and as a White House Fellow at the Department of Veterans Affairs. He was also a practicing corporate healthcare attorney with the international firm McDermott, Will & Emery.
Dr. Ryu was appointed to the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC), an independent body legislatively tasked with advising Congress on payment and other policies governing health plans and providers serving Medicare beneficiaries. He has previously served in various other advisory roles, including board positions with My Health Direct Inc., a provider of digital care coordination solutions (acquired by Experian), as well as MCCI and JenCare, both clinic/MSO organizations managing the financing and delivery of care for Medicare Advantage members under full-risk payment models. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the White House Fellows Foundation and Association.
Dr. Ryu earned his BA degree from Yale University and his MD and JD from the University of Chicago. He completed his residency training in emergency medicine at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
A snapshot of Dr. Ryu’s major accomplishments for the health care system
• Improving patient access and value-based care by redesigning our primary care model, leveraging a team-based approach to better manage the health of a panel of patients
• Launched the Geisinger At Home program, which takes team-based care into the homes of the sickest segment of our population, making it easier to improve health by meeting patients and members where they are
• Opening our senior-focused primary care health centers, called 65 Forward, dedicated to supporting the special health care needs of Medicare patients
• Promoted the growth of Geisinger’s retail and mail-order pharmacy which saves patients money and promotes better medication adherence
• Implementing measures to continually improve patient outcomes
• Strengthening relationships between Geisinger health care providers, and patients/members, families and communities